Welcome

We like to discuss everything. Everything includes current events, law, politics, economics, sports, religion and philosophy. There are plenty of websites and blogs all over the internet where these issues are discussed; however, we are attempting to create one where opposing arguments are displayed together and the point of view is not already predetermined. On this blog we will make an attempt to allow the reader to form his/her own opinion. Comments and discussion are encouraged as we believe that friendly debate is the best way to learn. The goal of such conversations, therefore, should be to educate oneself rather than to prove others wrong. So enjoy the posts and let's discuss, not argue.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sherley Sherrod v. Fox News, et al?


John W. Dean had a very interesting post on July 9th over at FindLaw's Writ Blog called "Should Sherley Sherrod sue Andrew Breitbart and Fox News?" This post gave very good reasons why Ms. Sherrod should NOT sue Breitbart and Fox News. It took me a while to find it because I have been so busy fantasizing about bringing that exact suit on behalf of Ms. Sherrod against Fox News and Breitbart.

See more details of my fantasy and my thoughts on Dean's post after the jump.

My fantasy involved me suing Fox News for not only the Sherrod incident, but also for lying and instigating violence on other occasions. After winning a multi-million dollar settlement, I would go on Glen Beck's show and demand to show certain clips live on the air. Then I would go to the clips of Glen Beck's insane bigotry and stupidity, on his own show! Then I would shut him down, and become a national hero. I would live off the settlement for years to come.

Alas, Dean's blog gave me very good reason not to pursue this lofty goal of mine because people like Breitbart and the minds behind Fox News, who Dean calls "Authoritarians," are not going to "let[] up on their race- baiting. [They] would no doubt celebrate a lawsuit -- until [they] lost it, and then would claim, in fact, that [they] had won. Andrew Breitbart [and Fox News] doubtless love[] all the publicity [they are] getting, for authoritarians feel no shame, and they become so swept up in their self-righteousness, that they believe they are doing the world a favor."

Plus, one would be hard pressed to prove damages.

But damn it's fun to day dream...

2 comments:

  1. If a white person had stated what this person stated regardless of the text; then, they would have ben crucified. The quota system has put people like her in all parts of the Government and that is one of the reasons the Government is poorly managed and would be bankrupt if not for the taxpayers and increased debt. She is the prototype of someone that gets paided to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you for reading the blog and thank you for posting a comment!

    Second, I consider your comment a red herring. It is a very effective red herring, because I think I agree with you. I agree that her "job" is an arbitrarily made-up one that does not fulfill any requirement of Government. However, I would not blame that on the "quota" system, (our country more than any other is a meritocracy). I also do not think a "white person" would have been "crucified" in similar circumstances. Look at what the white people on Fox News say on a daily basis. And not one of them lived through what Ms. Sherrod lived through. That does not excuse racism, but I think it does allow her to express her anti-racism in a edgier way.

    ReplyDelete